#5 I then painted in some very basic shapes, I decided to go with the Sun first as I feel it was the most prominent object in the painting. I added in some purple backgrounds to paint another colour over so that I can show a little of it through and it'd give a nice effect later on instead of the white paper showing through. I tried to not make the sun look too bright and light as I feel it would just look really fake and just such a bad attempt.
#8 - Completion I added a lot more of the finishing touches such as the wee face in the big foot and the wee foot at the bottom. I'm so happy with how it turned out it turned out to be a lot more of a challenge than what I thought it was going to be. The technique of layering the colours up from basic shapes to finer detail and adding background and foreground colours over to add some amount of texture.
#7 I forgot to take pictures for a while as I was in the zone. I added a lot more detail especially within the faces and added a lot more basic colours and shapes. The blue ball at the left hand side was so hard as it had little wriggles of different colours which was hard to achieve as the paint dried so quickly and with mixing paints it's so hard to emulate that especially straight on to paper. I attempted it though and tried to be as quick as possible and it worked out really, really…
#6 I then added in some more shapes and colours including the peachy skin-type colours as a base and then some finer detail. I think it's really interesting and satisfying when it all seems to just come together and really look like the paintings. The red circle at the right hand side was really hard to achieve as it was a slightly orangey colour which was difficult to create with the acrylics I had. It was hard as well to achieve the spontaneity especially with acrylic that dries so…
#4 The next step in creating my replica was pencilling in the faces, I'm sure Shrigley didn't do this in his original work as he is usually very spontaneous with it but when it comes to this style of art it's really quite vital. I tried to do the pencil marks really light so they didn't show up under the acrylic otherwise I'd need a bunch of layers of it.
#3 The first marks I made to paper were these diagram lines, I drew them on the piece of paper I had with the painting printed on to it for reference. This is going to make it so much easier to make the proportions correct as this is something I struggle in with my art as I'm usually too impatient to take this into consideration.
#1 I chose this particular painting of Shrigley's as it wasn't the simplest work that he has done overall. I would rather have chosen the more challenging picture than many really simple paper and ink illustrations. I really admired the spontaneity of this one which was rather challenging but is always something I'd like to apply in my own art. I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.
#2 I chose acrylic paints and normal cartridge paper for this as that's what Shrigley used even though his original painting was on a much larger scale. You can see on the original painting how big it really is as the foot in the bottom left hand corner is his own. I used the wooden board as a makeshift easel.