Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

Church Lane, Dingley, around 1910. This image is a copy photograph of a postcard showing a row of stone and thatch cottages in Church Lane, which belonged to the Dingley Hall estate. Dingley lies 3 miles to the east of Market Harborough. Note the unusual angle at which some of the chimney pots are set. Dingley is the home to the annual Fernie point to point horse race that raises funds for the Fernie Hunt.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

from Foursquare

Naseby

Naseby lies 7 miles to the south west of Market Harborough. It is the village from which the decisive battle of Naesby in the English Civil war got its name. Here two children stand in the road in 1907 without any fear of oncoming traffic. In the background can be seen the spire of the parish church which was not completed until the 1860s. Just out of view behind the thatched cottage was the village forge. This image is a copy photograph of the original postcard.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

Evacuees getting acquainted with livestock and rural life after moving from London to agricultural market towns. Photo shows: Market day at Market Harborough, Leicestershire. Two young Londoners inspect sheep in pens at the market.

Pinned from

media.iwm.org.uk

Pinned from

francisfrith.com

from Foursquare

Market Harborough

Cooper's Cottages, East Langton, 1910-1920. East Langton lies 3 miles to the north east of Market Harborough. This images is a copy photograph of a postcard showing two women stand outside Cooper's Cottages, which are the whitewashed thatched dwellings. East Langton is first recorded as Langetone meaning a long settlement.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

Church Lane, Dingley, around 1910. This image is a copy photograph of a postcard showing a row of stone and thatch cottages in Church Lane, which belonged to the Dingley Hall estate. Dingley lies 3 miles to the east of Market Harborough. Note the unusual angle at which some of the chimney pots are set. Dingley is the home to the annual Fernie point to point horse race that raises funds for the Fernie Hunt.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

from Foursquare

Market Harborough

This photograph shows the celebrations for the coronation of King George V on the 23rd of June 1911. It was taken by Thomas Kay from a first-floor window on the west side of the Square in Market Harborough. The people of Harborough watch uniformed groups of men parade in the Town Square. These groups include local volunteer regiments, the fire brigade and the boy scouts. In the background is the coronation banner.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

from Foursquare

The old Grammar School

The Old Grammar School in Market Harborough, around 1920. Built in 1614 and funded by Robert Smyth, the Old Grammar School is one of Market Harborough's most instantly recognisable landmarks. The beautiful timber structure was built on posts to keep people dry in times of bad weather and to allow the butter market to continue to be held. The Grammar School underwent a renovation in 1789, an extension in 1869 and a £30,000 restoration in 1977.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

from Foursquare

Ashley Farm Shop

May Day In Ashley, around 1920. This photograph, showing children standing around a maypole celebrating May Day at Ashley church, was taken by Walter Bale of Kibworth. Ashley is 5 miles north east of Market Harborough and settlement of this area dates back to the Roman times. Most of the children are wearing floral head dresses and a doll is carried in a garland of flowers symbolising new life.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk

from Foursquare

The Square

The Square and Symington's Factory, around 1900. This is the first Symington corset factory, situated on Factory Lane and viewed from across the square. The factory building was originally a carpet factory in 1805 and in 1865 it was partly occupied by Robert and William Symington to produce their corsets. By 1877 it was fully occupied by the Symingtons and in 1881 three more floors were added. The building was demolished in 1973.

Pinned from

imageleicestershire.org.uk