Ano Nuevo Lighthouse - In 1890, the first light was erected. An earthquake struck the station and shook the lens off its pedestal. The station was deactivated in 1948, and a whistle buoy was anchored. Nature and vandalism quickly took their toll on the station's buildings following abandonment of the island. In 1976, the state cut down the steel light tower. The toppled tower was left on the island and can easily be viewed from the mainland.