The Windmill Theatre on the corner of Great Windmill street and Archer Street, just off Shaftesbury Avenue, was a magnet to many of the new wave ex-servicemen comedians, of which there were many. The theatre was infamous for its risque dancing girls and nude tableaux but it was a tough crowd for comedians who would make up part of the show. Not too many patrons were there for the jokes.
An exterior view from the River Thames. The public house was originally built in 1520 and known as the Devil's Tavern through its association with thieves and smugglers. Its name was changed to the Prospect of Whitby in 1777.