On Nov. 15, 1947, the Friendship Train stopped in Allegheny County. It collected donated food for transport to France & Italy, providing desperately needed assistance in the aftermath of WWII. Left Los Angeles on Nov. 7 & made stops across U.S., ending in NYC. The "Friend Ship" carried cargo to Le Havre, France. Original goal was to collect 80 train cars of food, but ultimately collected more than 700 cars valued at more than $40 million (in excess of $406 million in today's money).