Very cool 1910 photo of W. Burnside looking east from 19th Avenue through the intersection at 18th; Alder angles off to the right. Burnside was actually Washington Street at this time; Burnside ended where Washington angled in from the east, and Washington continued on to 23rd where it became Barnes Road. A number of buildings seen here are still around. W Burnside and SW Washington at 19th east 1910
SW 6th Avenue, 1910 - This is a lovely view down SW 6th Avenue one hundred years ago. Horses still outnumber automobiles by a large margin on the wide streets. The 1907 Wells Fargo building on the right, between SW Oak and Stark, is Portland’s first steel-framed building and is considered the city’s first skyscraper.
US Custom House, 1904 June 18, 2012 Since its opening in 1901 the US Custom House on NW 8th Avenue between Everett and Davis Streets has been home to the US Customs Service and the US Army Corps of Engineers. It’s currently the site of the police headquarters in the TV program “Grimm.” The building recently sold at auction with future plans for the building not announced. The streets appear to still be unpaved in this 1904 image.