This month in history — May 16, 1890 — A committee chose to name “the town recently laid out at Ewa” Pearl City and the avenue “Lehua.” The Oahu Railway and Land Co. organized this committee. Read more about it in “Pearl City.” Pacific commercial advertiser, May 17, 1890, Image 3 http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85047084/1890-05-17/ed-1/seq-3/ Hawaii Digital Newspaper Project https://hdnpblog.wordpress.com/
Dillingham's ORL (Oahu Railway and Land Co.) took its final 70 mile farewell journey from Kahuku to the Honolulu station on Dec. 31, 1947. The Northshore part of the line was completed by December 1898, stretching past Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach all the way to Kahuku and the Kahuku sugar mill past the island's northernmost tip. After the railway closed down Great-Grandpa Henry E. Moss a welder/machinist upcycled rail ties and rails to create his shop at his home across the railway.
Mr. and Mrs Benjamin F. Dillingham are shown in this undated photo. They are the couple standing on the right. Dillingham, who died in 1918, did more than anyone to open O'ahu and other Islands up to agriculture and make sugarcane irrigation a reality, His claim to fame was Oahu Railway and Land Co, the railroad that began in 1889 that made agriculture possible.