An unusual feature of Brookwood Cemetery was that it had its own private railway running through the grounds. The main reason for this was that the Cemetery was over 25 miles from central London, and the only convenient method of transporting coffins and mourners was by the London & South Western Railway. The funeral trains began to operate from 13 November 1854 when the Cemetery opened to the public.
An exterior view from the River Thames. The public house was originally built in 1520 and known as the Devil's Tavern through its association with thieves and smugglers. Its name was changed to the Prospect of Whitby in 1777.
Turnham Green Underground station, District lines. Exterior view of the London & South Western Railway station, signage is displayed on the canopy above the entrance and also on the poster panels. Early large sized station name signage is displayed on the bridge. Unknown photographer, Pre 1911
Details about Easton Railway Station Photo. Portland and Weymouth Line. GWR & LSWR. (3)