On June 22, 1939, Highland Park Bridge opened to traffic, connecting Pgh's Highland Park neighborhood with Borough of Aspinwall across Allegheny River. Was designed by Allegheny Co Chief Bridge Engineer Sidney Shubin, who also designed S 10th St Bridge and Homestead High Level Bridge. Construction began on Nov. 6, 1937. Two workers were killed on Oct. 14, 1938, when a 68-ton crane fell from the bridge. The Highland Park Bridge cost $2.5 million to construct ($43 million today).
Today in Allegheny County History - On Oct. 2, 1908, the cornerstone was laid for Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum in Oakland. The Grand Army of the Republic conceived the memorial during the 1890s. It was originally built to recognize the sacrifice, valor & patriotism of Civil War veterans from Allegheny County. Today, it honors those who have served in U.S. military endeavors throughout our country’s history.
On March 27, 1928, the Liberty Bridge was officially dedicated & opened to traffic, providing a direct connection between the Liberty Tunnels (completed in 1924) & Downtown. Ceremony included 5-mile parade that started at Washington Rd. & Castle Shannon Blvd. in Mt. Lebanon & proceeded through Dormont & Brookline to the bridge. At the time, the Liberty Bridge was highest, longest & costliest in city. Built by Allegheny Co. at cost of $3.4 million ($46.7 million today).
Today in Allegheny County History - On Oct. 29, 1974, Mary Flinn Lawrence died, allowing her estate, known as Hartwood, to be developed into a public park. It was built in 1927 & included a Tudor mansion, cottage, stable complex & gate lodge. In 1969, she sold 480-acre estate to Allegheny County with condition that she reside there until her death. County transformed it into Hartwood Acres Park, which opened in 1976. Today, it spans 629 acres in Hampton & Indiana townships.