Balestrino, Italy - Due to seismic instability the residents were moved out decades ago, leaving behind a perfectly preserved but piecemeal museum of modern and medieval history. Still, visit it soon: the next earthquake in the area may be the last this old town ever sees.
Abandoned Medieval Town Balestrino, Italy. The origins and history of this settlement in Tuscany remain unknown. In the 1100s it was owned by the Benedictine abbey of San Pietro dei Monti. Today the beautiful small town-on-the-bluffs features a castle at the top and partially walled city sprawled on the olive-treed hillside around but all are abandoned. Due to seismic instability the residents were moved out decades ago, leaving behind a perfectly preserved museum of modern and medieval…
Abandoned Old Centre Church of Balestrino-Liguria, Italy (The partially walled, old town sits upon a hilltop, a castle standing majestic and dominating the landscape, while the new town lies below it. In 1953, residents abandoned the old town due to seismic and geological instability)
The Salesian School in Goshen, New York, has an eerie atmosphere hanging over it. It was originally a private mansion, built sometime between 1834 and 1864 by David Haight. When Haight died, the property was foreclosed on and, a few years later, it was purchased by the Salesian Fathers and renovated into a Catholic boarding school.
Exactly what the Florida State School for Boys was, is up for debate – most adamantly by those who lived there. Originally, it was meant to be a reform school for juvenile boys convicted of a crime. But, by at least the 1960s, it was a boarding school for orphans, unwanted boys, and those that simply didn’t have anywhere else to go. To some, the institution, also known as the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys, was hell.
Jacob Tome School for Boys - After firefighters spent hours battling the blaze, all that was left of the previously ornate buildings was granite and cement. The Jacob Tome School was founded in 1894 for children aged between kindergarten and grade 12. It operated as a prep school until 1942, when the needs of the community – and the country – changed with war. Then, it was sold to the US Navy to become a Naval Training Center.