The village of Kadikoi which is to our right off the photo. Canrobert's hill is off to the right. On Sapun Gor ridge we see the white building which is the museum for World War II. It is located close to where Lord Raglan and staff were located during the Battle of Balaklava. The Causeway height is not much of a height but extends along the low ridgeline on the right half of the photo. The Heavy Brigade engaged the Russian cavalry in the green space just in from the right edge of the…
'Balaclava', a Sherman M4A2 tank of Commanding Officer, Lt Col Harrap of Regimental HQ, 13th/18th Royal Hussars, 27th Armoured Brigade engaging enemy positions using crashed Horsa gliders as cover near one of the landing grounds during a counter-attack at Bénouville near Ranville, Calvados. 10 June 1944.
The 36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, better known as the SS-Sturmbrigade "Dirlewanger" (or Dirlewanger Brigade), was a military unit of the Waffen-SS during World War II. Originally formed for anti-partisan duties against the Polish resistance, it eventually saw action against the Soviet Red Army near the end of the war. During its operations it engaged in the rape, pillaging and mass murder of civilians.
Sherman DD tanks of ‘B’ Squadron, 13th/18th Royal Hussars support commandos of No. 4 Commando, 1st Special Service Brigade, on the Rue de Riva-Bella as they advance into Ouistreham, Sword area, 6 June 1944.
Colonel Ivan A. Gusev, commander of the 248th Independent Infantry Brigade, converses with farmers at a liberated village west of Kursk in the closing months of 1943. In July 1943, the Soviet army delivered a resounding defeat to German arms during the Battle for the Kursk Salient, which is still the biggest armored engagement in the history of warfare.
Abba Kovner - Kovner, along with his lieutenants Vitka Kempner and Rozka Korczak, commanded a partisan group called the Avengers ("Nokmim") in the forests near Vilna and engaged in sabotage and guerrilla attacks against the Germans and their local collaborators.