Mr and Mrs John Green and their family are the first to occupy a prefabricated hut house in Glengall Road, Poplar in London, on October 24 1944. It is one of 10,000 of these hut homes that are to be built in the capital'. The Green family's previous house had been bombed; they had no proper kitchen facilities and had been sleeping in an Anderson shelter for five months.
Simple corrugated steel Anderson shelters, covered over by earth, were dug into gardens up and down the country. While providing surprisingly good protection from all but direct hits, they were often very cold, wet and miserable places in which to shelter.