The past grandeur of this abandoned mansion near Durrow in Éire is clear despite the fact that it’s been reduced to little more than a gutted shell. With its roof missing and thick foliage consuming its internal walls and chimneys, restoring the structure would prove a monumental undertaking. One of many large derelict houses in Ireland, the abandoned building is a historic reminder of a different time.
The school occupies what used to be the Lillesden Estate Mansion, built at the estate (south of Hawkhurst) in 1855 by the banker Edward Loyd, who moved there after marrying. The house and estate remained in the family until just after the First World War, when it was then sold and eventually became the Bedgebury Girls Public School.The school closed around 1999 and has been abandoned ever since.