14th century door into the Vicars Choral cloister at Hereford Cathedral. Said to be reused from the vanished medieval choir screen. [Photo Philip Weaver]

14th century door into the Vicars Choral cloister at Hereford Cathedral. Said to be reused from the vanished medieval choir screen. [Photo Philip Weaver]

The Eignbrook Congregational Church, Hereford, was called "piquant" when it was built in 1873. Brooks (in Pevsner) calls it roguish and perverse. It is by local architect G.C.Haddon who had his Hereford office in Bridge Street. He built and restored countless schools and churches across Herefordshire and Worcestershire.

The Eignbrook Congregational Church, Hereford, was called "piquant" when it was built in 1873. Brooks (in Pevsner) calls it roguish and perverse. It is by local architect G.C.Haddon who had his Hereford office in Bridge Street. He built and restored countless schools and churches across Herefordshire and Worcestershire.

Francis Skidmore's beautiful Screen from Hereford Cathedral. In the 1960s they scandalously dumped, it but it has been restored by the wonderful V&A Museum, where we may enjoy it, resplendent!

Francis Skidmore's beautiful Screen from Hereford Cathedral. In the 1960s they scandalously dumped, it but it has been restored by the wonderful V&A Museum, where we may enjoy it, resplendent!

Bishop Booth's porch of 1518 at Hereford Cathedral contains rows of sculpted figures, often amusing and risqué. This innocent mermaid throws her hands up in horror at the sight above her. Bagpipe players were often figures of bawdy in the middle ages. One can almost hear the raspberry he's blowing..

Bishop Booth's porch of 1518 at Hereford Cathedral contains rows of sculpted figures, often amusing and risqué. This innocent mermaid throws her hands up in horror at the sight above her. Bagpipe players were often figures of bawdy in the middle ages. One can almost hear the raspberry he's blowing..

Dan was Dr George Sinclair's bulldog.  Sinclair, the organist at Hereford Cathedral, was a friend of Elgar's and dedicatee of variation XI of his Enigma Variations. Elgar reproduces Dan's bark in this piece. This carving of Dan stands, still barking, on the bank of the Wye in Hereford where he swam and scrambled back up the bank. Ruff! Philip Weaver

Dan was Dr George Sinclair's bulldog. Sinclair, the organist at Hereford Cathedral, was a friend of Elgar's and dedicatee of variation XI of his Enigma Variations. Elgar reproduces Dan's bark in this piece. This carving of Dan stands, still barking, on the bank of the Wye in Hereford where he swam and scrambled back up the bank. Ruff! Philip Weaver

The  head office of the Hereford Cattle Society in the centre of the old Saxon part of Hereford is on the corner of East and Offa streets, It holds the breed book of the white faced Hereford cattle, the most important cattle breed in the world.

The head office of the Hereford Cattle Society in the centre of the old Saxon part of Hereford is on the corner of East and Offa streets, It holds the breed book of the white faced Hereford cattle, the most important cattle breed in the world.

The enjoyable terracotta carvings on the facade of Hereford Museum in Broad Street are by Robert and William Clarke, working for the architect Frederick Kempson. They settled in Hereford c.1874.

The enjoyable terracotta carvings on the facade of Hereford Museum in Broad Street are by Robert and William Clarke, working for the architect Frederick Kempson. They settled in Hereford c.1874.

Franklin House at the junction of Blue Coat Street and Commercial Street in Hereford is a fine example of restrained British modernism. It was built in 1965 by Cecil Corey and Harry Bettington for Franklin Barnes, a garden supplies firm. The sculpture in the corner niche is a stylised flower. It is neglected and needs smartening up and loving. Buildings of this charm were no longer being built by 1970.

Franklin House at the junction of Blue Coat Street and Commercial Street in Hereford is a fine example of restrained British modernism. It was built in 1965 by Cecil Corey and Harry Bettington for Franklin Barnes, a garden supplies firm. The sculpture in the corner niche is a stylised flower. It is neglected and needs smartening up and loving. Buildings of this charm were no longer being built by 1970.

At the top of dirty Union Street near frightful Bath Street in Hereford is the Old Dispensary by Lewis Powell and Thomas Davis 1880-1 in a sort of faux renaissance style. It's built in the beautiful, dark but very crumbly Beerstone from Beer in Devon. It's been badly treated by a series of ghastly drinking clubs and looks seedy. The exciting Beerstone façade should be cleaned and stabilized, and the perspex signage removed.

At the top of dirty Union Street near frightful Bath Street in Hereford is the Old Dispensary by Lewis Powell and Thomas Davis 1880-1 in a sort of faux renaissance style. It's built in the beautiful, dark but very crumbly Beerstone from Beer in Devon. It's been badly treated by a series of ghastly drinking clubs and looks seedy. The exciting Beerstone façade should be cleaned and stabilized, and the perspex signage removed.

Numbers 4-9 Union Street, Hereford form a lovely red brick terrace with stucco trim, dated 1860. Alan Brooks (Pevsner) thinks they're by James Williams a Hereford architect/builder of the mid 19th century. The round door frames and little niches are wholly delightful. Unusually they have been nicely renovated recently.

Numbers 4-9 Union Street, Hereford form a lovely red brick terrace with stucco trim, dated 1860. Alan Brooks (Pevsner) thinks they're by James Williams a Hereford architect/builder of the mid 19th century. The round door frames and little niches are wholly delightful. Unusually they have been nicely renovated recently.

Pinterest
Search