Old Dundee Wellgate area -from the late 60's ( at top of photo ) old steep Wellgate steps were so dangerous for public to safely negotiate ( especially as so many public bars in that area in those days ), inebriated citizens required risk assessments before they could leave the bar to stagger home ( health and safety implications n all that !!)
High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0245. This photograph was taken from a site in front of Strathtay House (the present-day Boots) and shows the west end of Dundee High Street, the building at the extreme left being the south side at the junction with Crichton Street. The road to the righthand side (and north) is the Overgate. The photograph was taken before June 1896, when the new Dundee Directory lists No. 47 (here William Smith, hatter) as Nathan & Co., jewellers.
Dundee East Railway Station - Ref: WC1021 Dundee East Station belonged to the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway and served transport for the north. It was located at Dock Street East in Dundee. According to the Dundee Directory, the stationmaster in 1891-92 was A. T. Hunter.
This photograph looks westwards along High Street, Dundee, showing the north side section from Melville House in the distance to Whytock the jewellers to the right. Next door to Whytock's are Lennie and Thomson, opticians and Patterson's Boot Market. Above, the familiar Shipping Agent's advertisements have gone, and in their stead are larger commercial posters.
The street Thorter Row, seen in this photograph of the Overgate, dates back to the fifteenth century. The street name is possibly a corruption of the word "athwart" as it ran between the High Street and Overgate.
Overgate and Barrack Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0501 This photograph shows the junction of the Dundee Overgate leading east and right to the right, Barrack Street leading north, Mid Kirk Style leading west . The road leading from the right is Tally Street, which led southwards to the Nethergate.