Engraving from 1793 showing Castlemilk House

Engraving from 1793 showing Castlemilk House

Argyle Street, #Glasgow, #Scotland - Image Description from historic lecture booklet: "Population, 1,034,000. Glasgow is located on the Clyde River, in the lowlands of Scotland, near rich coal and iron fields. It is in the midst of one of the greatest ship-building regions in the world. As a commercial center Glasgow ranks first in Scotland and second in the United Kingdom. Since the Clyde has been deepened Glasgow has become a great modern port, and it is also an important center for…

Argyle Street, #Glasgow, #Scotland - Image Description from historic lecture booklet: "Population, 1,034,000. Glasgow is located on the Clyde River, in the lowlands of Scotland, near rich coal and iron fields. It is in the midst of one of the greatest ship-building regions in the world. As a commercial center Glasgow ranks first in Scotland and second in the United Kingdom. Since the Clyde has been deepened Glasgow has become a great modern port, and it is also an important center for…

A workman in a bulldozer in front of a tenement being demolished in the Gorbals area of Glasgow The...

A workman in a bulldozer in front of a tenement being demolished in the Gorbals area of Glasgow The...

Victoria Cafe, new shop front ..... 349 Victoria Rd, Govanhill, Glasgow Southside 1935

Victoria Cafe, new shop front ..... 349 Victoria Rd, Govanhill, Glasgow Southside 1935

The Fishmongers at 381 Langside Rd, Govanhill, Southside, Glasgow .....1939

The Fishmongers at 381 Langside Rd, Govanhill, Southside, Glasgow .....1939

The Old Ship Bank on the corner of Saltmarket and Bridgegate.( the briggat) The Glasgow Ship Bank was Glasgow's first bank, founded in 1750 by a group of Glasgow's leading Tobacco Lords. The bank subsequently removed to new premises in Glassford Street and this three-storey building was used for shops and dwellings. In 1845 a pub opened on the ground floor. The premises were rebuilt in 1904 and the addition of a corner tower and cupola made it a prominent landmark.

The Old Ship Bank on the corner of Saltmarket and Bridgegate.( the briggat) The Glasgow Ship Bank was Glasgow's first bank, founded in 1750 by a group of Glasgow's leading Tobacco Lords. The bank subsequently removed to new premises in Glassford Street and this three-storey building was used for shops and dwellings. In 1845 a pub opened on the ground floor. The premises were rebuilt in 1904 and the addition of a corner tower and cupola made it a prominent landmark.

Vinegarhill trailers, Gallowgate, Glasgow, 1954

Vinegarhill trailers, Gallowgate, Glasgow, 1954

Initially Green’s Playhouse Cinema, Glasgow Apollo (demolished for Cineworld)

Want to see how Glasgow city centre has changed over the centuries?

Initially Green’s Playhouse Cinema, Glasgow Apollo (demolished for Cineworld)

Pinterest
Search