Spencer’s Plaza, 1910. Described as the most magnificent department store in the East, it was designed by W.N. Pogson and inaugurated in 1895. It was commissioned by Eugene Oakshot, who joined John William Spencer as a partner in J.W. Spencer & Co. in 1871 and took over the firm in 1882. The vehicle in the foreground was called a steam lorry.