Northrop YB-49 42-102-102367 crosses the east field boundary on takeoff from Northrop Field, Hawthorne, California, 21 October 1947. (U.S. Air Force) October 1947: At Northrop Field, Hawthorne, California, Northrop Corporation Chief Test Pilot Max R. Stanley took off in the first YB-49, 42-102367, and flew it to Muroc Air Force Base (now, Edwards Air Force Base) for flight testing.
Northrop YB-49 (1947) was a prototype jet-powered heavy bomber aircraft developed by Northrop Corporation shortly after World War II for service with the U.S. Air Force. The YB-49 featured a flying wing design and was a jet-powered development of the earlier, piston-engined Northrop XB-35 and YB-35. The two YB-49s actually built were both converted YB-35 test aircraft.