Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

Exit to the "Body Chute" at Waverly Hills Sanatorium. They wheeled the bodies down a long tunnel because the moral of other patients and them getting depressed seeing all the dead bodies.


Waverly Hills Sanatorium

The original Waverly Hills Sanatorium, a two-story wooden structure, was opened in 1910, but the larger brick and concrete structure as it stand today was completed in 1926. The hospital was dedicated to the treatment of tuberculosis patients, a disease that was fairly common in the early 20th Century. It is estimated that as many as 63,000 people died at the sanatorium and there were many reports of severe mistreatment of patients and highly questionable experiments