La Scala oper house in Milan, Italy. The theatre was inaugurated on 3 August 1778 and is still recognised as one of the leading opera and ballet theatres in the world. La Scala was originally illuminated with 84 oil lamps mounted on the palcoscenico and another thousand in the rest of theatre. To prevent the risks of fire, several rooms were filled with hundreds of water buckets. In time, oil lamps were replaced by gas lamps, these in turn were replaced by electric lights in 1883.