The ring bears a Latin inscription from the marriage service, which confirms that it was used as a wedding ring. On one half are the words 'QUOD DEVS CONIVNXIT' ('What God has joined together') and on the other 'HOMO NON SEPARET' ( 'Let no man put asunder'). It is made of two intertwined halves, hence its name 'gimmel', which derives from the Latin gemellus, a twin. Ca. 1600, possibly Germany, It may well have been worn on the right rather than the left hand.