Old Curiosity Shop, Portsmouth Street, Westminster, London An exterior view of the Old Curosity Shop as immortalised by Charles Dickens in ‘Little Nell’. It was built in 1567. Photographer : York and Son. Date taken : 1870 - 1900
The Prospect Of Whitby, a public house on the River Thames at Wapping, 26th September 1942. Originally named the Devil's Tavern for its nefarious clientele, it was rebuilt and renamed in the early 19th century. Original Publication : Picture Post - 1230 - A Quiet Evening In A Riverside Pub - pub. 1942 (Photo by Kurt Hutton/Picture Post/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
The Prospect Of Whitby [shown here in 1940] at №57 Wapping Wall E1, is London's oldest riverside pub, dating back to 1520. Most areas of the pub have spectacular views over the Thames, including the beer garden, first-floor balcony, and terrace. The pub was originally frequented by those involved in life on the river and sea; it was a notorious haunt for smugglers, thieves, and pirates.