Wych Street, London (1901). Wych Street ran roughly where Australia House now stands on Aldwych, from the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand to a point towards the southern end of Drury Lane (>See Map). It was demolished by London City Council, c.1901, as part of the re-development that created Kingsway and Aldwych. What a fine, beautiful city street - why on earth did they destroy it? The usual depressing answer - progress ... Morons !! -- then as now !!