Little Moreton Hall, Cheshire. The name Moreton probably derives from the Old English mor meaning "marshland" and tune, meaning "farm", thus literally "a farm at a marsh". Little Moreton Hall first appears in the historical record in 1271, but the present building dates from the early 16th century.
Little Moreton Hall, Cheshire, also known as Old Moreton Hall, is a moated half-timbered manor house. The earliest parts of the house were built for the prosperous Cheshire landowner William Moreton in about 1504–08, and the remainder was constructed in stages by successive generations of the family until about 1610.