"The Rotunda at Ranelagh" by Thomas Bowles, 1754. Ranelagh Gardens opened in 1742. It was considered more fashionable than the older Vauxhall. Pitt's sister Harriot frequently mentions going there in her letters, and Pitt would sometimes join her.
Black and white view of 19th Century Picadilly St. In 1797 John Hatchard (1769-1849) opened a bookshop at No. 173 Piccadilly. In 1801 he moved premises to No. 190. Later the store was moved to No. 187 where it has remained. In Hatchard's time the shop was as much a social meeting place for the literary-minded as it was a bookshop. Residents of Albany, just across Piccadilly, including Byron frequented the shop. The daily newspapers were always laid out on the table by the fireplace
Vauxhall Gardens: The Orchestra and the Supper-Boxes